Falafel is a real, popular, delicious, vegetarian-friendly, flavorful and satisfying nature’s dish native of the Middle East region ( Lebanon, Syria, Israel, Egypt).
Falafel is made of ground chickpeas or / and fava beans, mixed with herbs and spices.
The primary ingredients are usually soaked and ground chickpeas or/ and fava beans, onions, garlic, parsley, cumin, coriander, shaped into balls or patties and deep-fried until crispy and golden brown.
Falafel is often served with various accompaniments, including:
- Pita Bread sandwiches: Falafel is commonly served inside a pita bread as a sandwich
- Hummus: A dip made from chickpeas, tahini (sesame seed paste), lemon juice, and garlic.
- Tahini Sauce: A smooth nutty and creamy paste made from sesame seeds
- Salad: Fresh salad ingredients such as lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and pickles are often included to bring some freshnes to the crunchy fried falafel.
- Moutabal (Baba Ganoush): specifically made with roasted or grilled eggplant, tahini, garlic, and lemon juice.
- 100g dried peeled chickpeas
- 100g dried peeled fava beans
- 30g yellow onions
- 15g parsley with the stems
- 15g coriander leaves (without the stems)
- Some green onions
- 5G garlic
- 4g salt
- 3 pinch of salt
- 2 pinch of white pepper
- 2pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2tsp of coriander seeds
- 5g baking powder
Tahini Sauce for the Falafel
2 Tsp Tahini Paste (recipe coming soon)
1 fresh Lemon Juice
a pinch of salt
- Steep the fava beans and the chickpeas in water in separate containers overnight.
- The day after rinse the beans and the fava with fresh water then.
- Run the dried fava and peas in a food processor for a minute or two. Put them aside
- Place the garlic, red onions, green onions, parsley, cilantro, coriander, salt, peppers and flour in the food processor and run for a couple of minutes until they turn into a paste.
- Add the baking powder
- Mix them with the fava and Chickpeas and and let them rest.
- When ready, roll them with hands until they reach a doughy texture
Frying the Falafel
- Heat your cooking oil in the frying pan on medium heat
- Fry for a few minutes until the falafel turns brownish then scoop them out place on a paper town to dry out the extra oil.
FALAFEL TAHINI SAUCE RECIPE
- Mix all the ingredients in the blender until they reach a smooth texture.
- Taste to ensure a balance of flavors.